Sunday, March 14, 2010

So, let’s get started entertaining!




My number one advice is to make a shopping list ahead of time for any parties that you KNOW you are hosting.
I make two lists: a shopping list and an action list. The shopping list has EVERYTHING I need to purchase, right down to ice and flowers to arrange. The action list exists not just for me, but also for my friends who show up early and want to help. It is everything that needs to happen right down to slicing lemons and limes for the bar. This helps you to not forget all the little things once you get overloaded with juggling guests who want to help with trying to get things done.

To avoid my inevitable last minute panic of “I’m running late and nothing is done” (I am famous for ALWAYS being fifteen minutes late – for everything, all the time), I have started setting the table for a buffet a few hours before I do anything else. I pick a serving dish for each menu item and stick a piece of paper on it identifying it. Next, I put out all food that needs no preparation like cheese, fruit, olives, etc., just so it looks like there is food out when people arrive and the rest is still cooking or being sliced. This also helps those showing up at the last minute to help identify what still needs to be done.


This is an old family recipe, which has been simplified by using canned beets and ketchup for almost identical results. The one complication is the meat grinder, which many people don’t have. I say pick one up! I have a fairly cheap Zyliss one that has worked reliably for years, or get one that mounts onto your Kitchen-Aid mixer if you like fancy. I can whip this up in about 10 minutes when I am faced with “no time to cook or shop, what to bring to the party?”. It can be made ahead of time, saving that last minute panic of having to clean up ONE more thing up before guests arrive…

Beet “Caviar”

3 cans whole beets
1/2 cup of Vidalia onion finely chopped
3 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 cup ketchup
3 Tablespoons fresh dill (or dried)
Olive oil

Turn on a large cast iron pan on medium with onions, garlic and olive oil to sauté
Grind your beets with a meat grinder on medium, pouring off any extra liquid.
Add to pan with sauté and cook for 3-4 minutes before adding ketchup and dill. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, and PRESTO! It’s done!

Serve with toasted challah bread squares, pita chips or rye crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment